Guide On How To Check Air Quality In Your House
Air quality is an important topic to talk about. With air pollution being a worsening problem, you should make sure that the air in your house is clean and safe for you and your family. Everyone deserves to be able to breathe healthy air. This guide will help you learn how to check the quality of the air in your home so that no one has to suffer from bad indoor air.
Dust Plus Moisture = Mold
Given dust is everywhere, moisture from condensation, humidity, flooding, leaks, etc. is the most common cause of harmful pollutants. When moisture is combined with dust, organic debris, pathogens, microorganisms, and dust mites can reproduce at rapid rates. Microorganism reproduction is inevitable wherever there is excess moisture and they can pollute your indoor air. This can result in chronic health issues. Check any visible pipes for condensation or mold. HVAC registers are also likely to hold moisture due to condensation. Look for condensation from any visible pipes in your home and around your HVAC air handler. Clean where moisture and mold is present.
Water damaged homes have long been known to cause illness. However, establishing a causal relationship is very complicated since there are wide varieties of potential pollutants. Diagnostics lack specificity and precision. Also, every individual person reacts to foreign matter differently. One persons immune system may tolerate pollutants while others may not. It has been estimated that approximately 25% of the population have the HLA-DR genetic variation. These individuals are more likely to be very sensitive to mold and chemicals. Most mold sensitive people are often sensitive to chemicals as well. The ability to minimize dust in your home is the best way to reduce the circulation and potential exposure to these chemical elements.
How To Test Air Quality In Your Home
From wood burning stove, heavy traffic, vacuuming, cooking in your kitchen and many more, can have a huge impact on the air quality in your home and overall health.
This is because most of us spend about 90% of our time indoors*, and poor indoor air quality has been linked to asthma, allergies, cancer, and many other diseases.
Thats why its so important to test the air quality in your home every now and then. In this complete guide, well go over many different ways to do that! Well also touch on some symptoms that indicate poor air quality and give you a few tips on how to improve it.
Also Check: Mould In Bathroom Ceiling
How To Test Air Quality In The Home
The quality of the air you breathe can contribute to health problems like asthma and allergies. And its not just outdoor air quality that exposes us to pollutants. The World Health Organization says 9 out of 10 people worldwide regularly breathe polluted air. And as many as 93% of children under 18 are living in environments with pollution concentrations that exceed WHO safe air quality guidelines.¹
You can’t always control outdoor air quality, but you can ensure better health for your family by improving indoor air quality. That starts by identifying levels of indoor contaminants and finding ways to restore good air.
Igeress Air Quality Monitor
The IGERESS air quality monitor for home offers a 7 in 1 monitoring of potential air pollutants. It will allow for 24-hour air quality testing and provide you with real-time results. The monitor features smart calibration and scientific calculation of air pollutants. e
The 7 in 1 monitor offers testing for HCHO , TVOC (volatile organic compounds, PM2.5, PM1.0, PM10, humidity, and temperature, and an alarm will sound if the air isnt healthy. The monitor is straightforward to read and understand, as all results are displayed on a large color LCD screen.
The unit is very portable, as it is rechargeable using a USB cable. It features only 10 keys and comes with a manual. Unfortunately, we had a difficult time understanding the manual. This could be a serious problem as you cannot get accurate results unless you use the monitor correctly.
- 2 years warranty and 6 months return from the manufacturer.
- Inexpensive product, but you get what you pay for.
- The unit features a large LCD and is portable and rechargeable.
- The unit has the ability of long term values.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Black Mold Off Ceiling
Book Your Indoor Air Quality Assessment And The Path To A Healthier Indoor Environment
- Visual assessment for water damage and mould growth
- Laser particle count for airborne dust particles
- Computer reading for Temperature, Relative Humidity,and Dew Point
- Computer reading for Carbon Monoxide
- Computer reading for Carbon Dioxide
- Instrument reading for combustible gases
- Instrument reading for sewer gases
- Instrument reading for chemicals
- Moisture meter survey of walls for moisture content
- Thermal Imaging of wall and ceiling for hidden moisture issues
- Air sampling for viable and non-viable mould spores
- Complete report outlining your home air quality issues with detailed recommendations
Take Action To Improve Air Quality In Every Room
Important tips that will help control indoor pollutants
- Test for radon and fix if there is a problem.
- Reduce asthma triggers such as mold and dust mites.
- Do not let people smoke indoors.
- Keep all areas clean and dry. Clean up any mold and get rid of excess water or moisture.
- Always ventilate when using products that can release pollutants into the air if products must be stored following use, make sure to close tightly.
- Inspect fuel-burning appliances regularly for leaks, and make repairs when necessary.
- Consider installing a carbon monoxide alarm.
Don’t Miss: Killing Mold On Bathroom Ceiling
Air Ae Steward Indoor Air Quality Monitor
This rechargeable air quality monitor can last 8 hours on its lithium battery. It offers accurate and trustworthy measurements through its ISO, calibration, factory testing, and gas flow conductivity detection technology. With the unit, you can easily measure HCHO, TVOC, PM2.5, PM10 in real-time, as well as temperature and humidity.
The unit features an LED display light for easy reading and attractive white design. If the levels of the air are not healthy, it will sound an alarm notifying you. The LED display features faces that show you in real-time the quality of the air you are breathing.
Although the LED display is large and features a light, it is difficult to read from different angles. It also doesnt seem to have a fan to pull in air for faster reading, while the temperature is in Celsius only.
- Easy to read LED display light on the unit.
- The alarm will sound if air quality levels are low.
- The battery can be charged, making it portable for on-the-go air monitoring.
- The temperatures are displayed in Celsius only.
- It doesnt seem to be very accurate, giving different readings and fluctuations without reason.
Exposure To Mold Is A Real Health Issue
Our mold inspection service utilizes air quality and or surface sampling. The results are analyzed by a local laboratory. Having a mold inspection done is an essential first step toward improved air quality in your home.
Although mold is most common in spaces that frequently get moist, such as in the basement or crawlspace, it can grow and spread just about anywhere in your house. We have found mold in poorly ventilated attics and other hard to reach areas.
Having air quality testing done by the Settlers Home Inspections can help identify mold indoors and keep your family breathing easier and sleeping better at night. You will rest better knowing Settlers is here to help.
If you feel that you may have a problem with mold in your home, or if you see any of the telltale signs of mold growth, have us test. We are experienced with all different types of water damage, mold, and can help identify the problem and an effective solution.
Recommended Reading: Best Way To Clean Mold Off Ceiling
How To Use It
The default view for your air quality monitor should show you all the measurements that are available. We recommend reading the manual fully to understand how your specific air quality monitor works.
Most air quality monitors will need to be calibrated before you can use them to monitor indoor air quality. This involves turning it on for a set period of time before use.
Most monitors need to be calibrated outside in fresh air. Overnight is best for this because the air quality tends to be better later in the day.Calibration gives the air quality monitor a baseline measurement of fresh air. This way it can accurately tell you if you are in the yellow, orange, red, or purple levels.
- Yellow Moderate
- Orange unhealthy for sensitive groups
- Red Unhealthy, dont exercise outside
- Purple Hazardous, stay inside
Keep Rugs And Carpets Clean And Cleaning Easier
Always make sure that your carpets and rugs are vacuumed at least once a week. If you have pets, this should be done daily or every other day, depending on how much they go out of the house. This prevents them from becoming dirty very quickly as well as keeping potential allergens such as pet dander and hair from building up.
You May Like: Mold Spores On Bathroom Ceiling
Uhoo Indoor Air Quality Sensor
This may be the most expensive product on our list, but it seems to be the ultimate winner in quality as well. This is a very advanced technology sensor that offers a comprehensive analysis of the air quality in your home. It monitors humidity, temperature, nitrogen dioxide, toxins, carbon dioxide, ozone, PM2.5, PM.25, and air pressure levels.
What sets this product apart from the rest is that it is very functional, connecting to a mobile app that you download, streaming data to you at all times. It offers not only immediate air quality results but tips on improving the air and much more. The system of the uHoo syncs with any IFTTT compatible device such as Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, Roomba, smart air purifiers, and more for scheduling.
Although they claim it is easy to use and connect, this was actually one of the most significant problems we faced when using this product. However, if you follow instructions carefully, this is a lovely and useful device.
- This unit monitors more air quality factors than most others on the market.
- It can be connected to any iOs9 or Android 4.3 or newer device through a downloadable app.
- The elegant design makes it an attractive addition anywhere in your home.
- You dont have to calibrate the device as it calibrates itself.
Evviva Sciences Mold Test Kit For Home 10 Simple Mold Detection Tests Optional Lab Analysis Test Hvac System
- EXCELLENT VALUE INCLUDING 10 SEPARATE TESTS: Our mold testing kit includes 10 agar petri dishes for mold growth, 10 cotton tipped swabs, detailed mold information guide about common household molds, and an optional lab analysis .
- TEST ROOM AIR, YOUR HVAC SYSTEM, & ANY HOUSEHOLD SURFACE: Perform mold tests in 10 different parts of your home or office with our mold detector kit.
- OPTIONAL DISCOUNT LAB ANALYSIS Lab tests can be priceybut with our test kit it doesnt have to be.
- IDENTIFY MOLDS WITH OUR MOLD IDENTIFICATION GUIDE: If you dont want to spend the money for the lab test, our kit comes with a downloadable guide with multiple images and information on common household molds.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE: Got questions about your results? Contact us for a consultation.
Don’t Miss: Mold In Bathroom Ceiling
Mold Testing What Type Of Air Quality Testing Method
If mold testing is pursued, these are the three most common types of samples collected:
- Air sampling: the most common form of sampling to assess the level of mold. Sampling of the inside and outdoor air is conducted and the results to the level of mold spores inside the premises and outside are compared. Often, air sampling will provide positive identification of the existence of non-visible mold.
- Surface samples: sampling the amount of mold spores deposited on indoor surfaces . Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, MD is a strong believer in dust sampling using the Environmental Relative Moldiness Index .
- Bulk samples: the removal of materials from the contaminated area to identify and determine the concentration of mold in the sample.
In this blog, we focus on air quality testing. There are four ways of air quality testing for mold:
Monitor Carbon Monoxide And Radon Levels
Amazon.com list price as of post date. See full disclaimer.
Two of the most dangerous substances that can affect indoor air quality are carbon monoxide and radon. Carbon monoxide, often referred to as the silent killer, is an odorless, colorless gas that can build to dangerous levels in poorly ventilated areas.
Because of the danger to pets, the elderly, and children, we recommend carbon monoxide monitoring on all levels of the home. Review our recommendations for the best carbon monoxide detectors to determine which one is the right fit for your family.
The Environmental Protection Agency says long-term exposure to radon is the second-leading cause of lung cancer in the United States. If radon levels are detected in your home, you should seek out professional help immediately.
Don’t Miss: How To Clean Mold From Basement Walls
How To Detect Mold
Testing for mold is a relatively simple process. Many retailers sell home mold testing kits, which allow homeowners to conduct their own testing. While this may seem like a good DIY project, calling in a pro is a better alternative.
Home testing can be tricky as you move from one location to another. Once you test in an environment that is likely to have mold, such as a basement bathroom, it is easy to transfer mold spores from that area to every other area tested, leading to false positives in other locations. KW Lang Mechanical can ensure your testing is valid and provide you tailored solutions for your Solon, OH, home.
Areas likely to contain mold include:
- Inside basement walls
- Behind your refrigerator
- Inside walls with plumbing lines
- Inside ventilation ducts
- Under any flooring that was wet in the past
What Is An Iaq Home Survey
Ensure the air in your home is safe to breathe with a professional Indoor Air Quality Home Survey by VBI. Performed by our certified team, our indoor air quality/active mold testing provides you with the following information regarding the presence of active mold and VOCs within your home:
Reports on the total level of VOCs and the presence of active mold.
Identifies potential sources of air pollutants such as paint, adhesives, fuel, dead animals, and other materials that emit gases into the air.
Provides actionable information to take the next step in improving your homes air quality.
Recommended Reading: Ultraviolet Light Mold Removal
Places With Clean And Fresh Air In Toronto
There are many places with very clean and fresh air in Toronto to visit, including the East End of the Scarborough Bluffs. This area is renowned for its birdwatching opportunities. The wildlife in this region includes falcons, hawks, herons, geese, falconets , and many other types of raptors.
- The East End of the Scarborough Bluffs, as it is known by locals, is a popular Toronto landmark. The bluffs themselves are a series of steep cliffs that descend from Lake Ontario and stretch for about 3km inland to Lake Ontario Park near Kingston Road. One of the most notable features on the bluffs is the ravine and valley architecture.
- The High Park Ravine is a conservation area in Toronto, located along Bloor Street. The ravine was created over a hundred years ago by a glacier that swept through the region. Today, it is home to many species of animal and plant life. Evidence of the glacierâs impact can be found in the glacial erratics scattered throughout the park.
- Grenadier Pond is located in the Don Valley near Riverdale Park, Toronto. The pond is best known for its resident population of frogs and turtles, as well as the variety of plants that line the shore. Grenadier Pond is also an important component of the hydrological system of the Don River watershed, providing a valuable resting spot for migratory birds. Initially only 1 acre in size, the pond expanded over time to 3 acres through natural accretion.
My Mold Detective Mmd103 Mold Test Kit
- Mold Test Kit Contains 1 air sampling pump, 4 air sample cassettes , 1 surface samples, 1 mailing envelope, and instructions.
- Analysis Fees An additional $35 per sample lab analysis fee is due at time of online sample registration.
- Fast & Easy to Use A quick 5 minutes to take a sample and easy to read, color-coded lab reports with analysis results, recommendations, and next steps.
- Additional Packs Additional sample accessory packs can be utilized to sample additional rooms when combined with mold test kit.
- My Mold Detective Not only identifies what types of mold are present but also determines whether mold concentration levels are normal, slightly elevated or elevated.
Recommended Reading: Removing Mold From Shower Ceiling
Dark Grout Between The Shower Tiles
The surprising bit about mold is that it accumulates in some of the unlikeliest of places. If your bathroom has leaking parts, mold may begin to grow around the grout. Unfortunately, most of the mold that thrives in the bathroom can be toxic.
You need to pay close attention to the spaces around the bathroom tiles. However, it takes a keen eye to notice the color changes. Are you finding it hard to differentiate between the normal darkening of tiles and mold-related discoloration? Our experts at Beyer Air Conditioning and Heating are always on-call to test if such darkening spots could be molds. Dealing with mold early helps you minimize the risk of allergies and other issues caused by low air quality.