Removing Mold From Bathroom Ceiling
How you remove mold from your bathroom ceiling depends on the surface. If its a porous material like wood, drywall or popcorn, youll likely need to replace the moldy part.
Mold in the ceiling is often caused by poor ventilation or water leaks. If you have pipes in the ceiling, consider checking to see if theres a leak. You must also ensure that your bathroom fan is working correctly.
If your ceiling is made of a non-porous material, you can try the following to remove the mold:
Remove Or Clean Bathroom Ceiling Mold
Determining whether to remove or clean mold off the ceiling will come down to one thing:
Is there a leak?
Often times, mold found on the ceiling of the shower is just surface mold.Sometimes the mold is not even visible because it is white and not dense. Its caused by condensation on the surface of the ceiling because a dew point is reached.
Think about this
When you take a nice hot shower, what happens to the mirror?
It fogs because the steam caused by the hot water lands on the cooler surface, causing condensation. Well, the same thing can happen on the ceiling without proper ventilation.Tiny droplets of water can form and lead to mold on the surface of the shower ceiling. If the shower is built correctly and the ventilation fan is work efficiently, you can prevent surface mold from growing on the roof of the shower.
The type of paint used in the bathrooms may also affect whether mold stains will present itself above the bath.Latex paint will generally be able to host mold more than eggshell.
This type of mold or mildew that forms on the surface of the ceiling can usually be cleaned.When the shower ceiling needs to be removed due to mold is there is an actual water leak in the attic caused by:
Mold Cleaning Trick #: Baking Soda And Bleach
Its important to note that bleach does not kill mold, it simply removes the stain created by mold. Vinegar, as mentioned above, is a great way to kill mold. Start with the vinegar method and then move onto this method for the best results.
- Mix 1 tsp liquid soap and 1 cup baking soda. Add several drops of an essential oil, such as lavender, peppermint, citrus, etc.) and then add enough hot water to create a paste.
- Next, in a separate bowl combine 1 part bleach with 2 parts water. Add mixture to a spray bottle.
- Use the bleach solution to spray the affected areas in your bathroom. Let it sit and dry.
- After the solution dries, respray the area with your bleach solution and this time get in there with a scrub brush.
- Rinse the wall, and if you still see mold, go at it again repeating until the mold vanishes.
- In some cases, grout or caulking must be replaced.
Also Check: What To Do If You Have Mold On Your Walls
How To Clean A Shower Curtain
How do you remove mould from the shower curtain though? While they can be incredibly cute , they can also be massive mould traps that need some serious cleaning and maintenance to prevent them from getting ruined and smelling.
However, the process of removing mould is not necessarily a hard one, and we have two excellent methods for getting the job done. The first of these is by using a baking soda and vinegar solution to remove the mould in question, the steps for which are below:
#1 Remove the shower curtain from the shower.
#2 Place it in the washing machine with a couple of bath towels .
#3 Add half a cup of baking soda alongside your usual washing tablets and start the cycle.
#4 Once it reaches the rinse stage, stop the machine and add half a cup of white wine vinegar and then allow the cycle to finish.
#5 Remove the curtain from the machine and hang it out to dry. The mould should be gone. If not, you can repeat the process a couple of times.
You may find that the baking soda and vinegar method isnt quite enough though, and in cases like this, you can try our next method. This one uses bleach, which means it is a lot more powerful and so likely to be effective on curtains that are severely mouldy. Here are the steps for you:
#1 Place the curtain in your washing machine with some bath towels, for the same reason as the first method.
#4 Once it has finished washing, hang it out to dry, and the mould should be gone.
Further Reading: Old Shower DIY Makeover
What Are The Health Risks Of Black Mould
According to the NHS, mould can cause various health problems, the most likely being breathing problems. These would include infections, allergies or asthma attacks.
Health risks associated with mould include allergic reactions, such as sneezing, a runny nose, red eyes and skin rash. This is especially true if you touch or inhale any spores, which can cause an asthma attack.
Therefore, those most likely to be affected are children, the elderly and anyone with existing skin problems and respiratory issues.
According to Asthma UK, 42% of respondents to their 2019 annual survey said mould can trigger their asthma. They advise that if you experience cold-like symptoms in warm, damp environments, you could be allergic to mould.
Furthermore, the World Health Organisation believes that many of the 300 million cases of asthma cases among children have originated or been worsened by mould exposure.
Don’t Miss: How To Remove Black Mold From Bathtub
How To Clean Mold From Grout
Cleaning mold from grout requires a thorough scrub with warm water or baking soda. Below are the steps to clean a moldy grout.
- Step 1: Protect yourselfWear gloves to protect your hands from friction and exposure to cleaning products.
- Step 2: Sprinkle waterFill your bucket with warm water and sprinkle gradually on small sections of grout.
- Step 3: Scrub the groutUsing a narrow scrub brush, tile brush, a closed-loop microfiber cloth, or a stiff toothbrush, vigorously scrub the grout in a back and forth motion.
- Step 1: Make a thick pasteMix three portions of baking soda with one part of water and form a thick paste.
- Step 2: Apply and waitCarefully apply the paste on the grout and give it two hours to penetrate the surface.
- Step 3: Sprinkle waterSprinkle the grout with plain warm water and try scrubbing it again.
- Step 4: Clean and rinseUse clean water, or a clean sponge to rinse the grout.
- Step 5: Dry the groutUse a piece of clean cloth to dry out the moisture from the grout. You can turn on your fan or open your windows and ensure the grout is completely dry.
Black Mold On Silicone Around The Tub Shower And Sinks
Silicone is usually a white color, sometimes called caulking that fills the space between a sink, countertop, or the tub, shower, and the wall. The growth of the black mold often happens on silicone in the shower and throughout the bathroom, as it is a difficult area to keep dry and clean. Clean this area as you see the mold start to form to prevent it from getting out of control.
Recommended Reading: How To Get Rid Of Mold In Hvac
Best Shower Cleaners For Mold
1) Lysol Mold & Mildew Blaster with BleachThis Lysol cleaner is a great option for removing black fungus from the shower. This cleaner kills 99.9% of bacteria and viruses. It’s a great option for removing soap scum and it will give a nice shine to the bathroom surfaces. This is a must have cleaner for your shower.
2) Puracy Organic Home Care SetIf you prefer to use a non-toxic all natural cleaner this is a good option. This multi-surface cleaner will clean the fungus from the shower and leave a pleasant smell behind. It is a plant derived cleaner that is the perfection option for non- toxic cleaning.
3) Complete Mold Killer & Remover DIY BundleThis cleaner is very easy to use. There is no scrubbing required, simply spray it onto the caulk sealant and let it sit for 15 seconds. It will remove and kill the fungus. This bundle also comes with the RMR-86 which will remove the stain caused from the fungus.
4) ForceField ScumBlaster BundleThis bundle kills and removes stains from black mold. It works well on hard surfaces, so it is perfect for the shower caulk. Spray this on the fungus, wait while it works some magic, and then rinse. You can spray this on daily to help prevent in the future.
Clean And Disinfect The Area
After the mould has been removed, the rest of the surfaces of the shower must be purged of mildew spores to prevent re-growth of mold on shower caulking. One of the most effective ways to remove the invisible mold spores is to spray the entire shower stall with the bleach mixture and then rinse and dry the shower walls and fixtures. Perform this task just prior to leaving the house for at least 48 hours. When the shower is allowed to dry completely, the spores that are present will die. Then the mold prevention tips can be implemented with a completely clean shower stall.
Also Check: How To Know If You Have Mold Allergies
How To Get Rid Of Bathroom Mildew
Bathroom surfaces, especially tile and grout located in or near your shower or tub, are common breeding grounds for mildew. This is largely because these surfaces are warm, moist and exposed to
light often. While you may want to treat mildew quickly because its unsightly, its important to treat mildew fast because it can spread and cause mold to grow on your bathrooms surfaces.
Like its grown-up counterpart, mold, mildew can cause allergies, respiratory problems and more serious health issues that have the potential to affect your nervous system. If you suspect a mold issue, please contact the leasing office right away.
How To Clean Grout In The Kitchen
Cleaning kitchen tiles are basically the same as cleaning the bathroom or shower. Use the same types of cleaners, but make sure you rinse well with warm water. You dont want to leave any residue behind that might come in contact with food.
- Step 1: Scrub off dirty grout using warm water and a stiff brush in a circular motion, and then leave it for few minutes to dry up.
- Step 2: Mix vinegar with waterWhen you have your mixture, spray it in equal parts and let it stand for a few minutes then scrub with the brush.
- Step 3: Apply baking soda and vinegarApply the baking soda paste, spray vinegar, and cover grout lines with more baking soda.
- Step 4: Add hydrogen peroxideResistant stains may need hydrogen peroxide. Apply it in the form of a paste with baking soda.
- Step 5: Rinse with clean waterRinsing helps to avoid resettling of dirt in the grout lines.
- Step 6: Steam cleaningIf there are persistent grout stains, you may need the help of various steam cleaners in the market.
- Step 7: Dry offOpen the windows or put on a fan and let the grouts dry thoroughly.
After trying all of your options for cleaning mold, if the fungus continues to come back and reinfest areas of your bathroom or kitchen, call in a professional to do the job for you.
You May Like: How To Remove Mold Out Of Clothes
How To Clean A Black Mold Shower Curtain
I am going to state the obvious and tell you that a simple way to get rid of black mold on a shower curtain is to just get rid of the shower curtain and buy a new one! They are not very expensive usually and ensure there is no more mold in your shower.But, if you dont like to replace items , cant afford to do so, or like a cleaning challenge, then there are some tutorials for removing black mold from shower curtains. Weve been able to remove some pink and black mold from our shower curtains through the years and it isnt all that difficult.
If you have a plastic or vinyl shower curtain liner, simply use a baking soda and water mixture and gently scrub it off then rinse with water. Then you can spray some vinegar on it to help inhibit more growth and remove any watermarks.
Lastly, you can throw your shower curtain into the washing machine with some laundry detergent and 1/2 cup baking soda , run on the gentle cycle . Or Ive done it with just a straight vinegar wash before too.
Spray Problem Areas With Vinegar
Fill the bottle with undiluted white vinegar and spray the problem areas. Spray the entire ceiling, not just the moldy areas, as the beginnings of an area of black mold growth are invisible to the naked eye. Let the undiluted vinegar soak for at least an hour, rinse, and repeat. This will start to remove the stains.
Read Also: How To Clean Mold Off Walls Before Painting
What Causes Black Mold On Shower Caulk
Mold grows where moisture is present for long periods of time. When the relative humidity level in the bathroom remains above 60 percent due to poor ventilation, the spores that are present in any home will attach to the shower caulking and begin to multiply. Mould will feed on wood, soil, cloth or paper. Most of these substances are present in the bathroom all the time. Take a look at the EPAs brief guide for mold and moisture in your home.
What Causes Mold In Shower Grout
According to recent statistics, more than half of all the homes in the United States have mold, which means you are not the only one struggling with the rampant growth of all that icky mold in your home.
These micro-organisms thrive best in places where there is warmth, moisture, and poor air circulation, making places like the kitchen, basement, attic, and the shower, especially in the grout, ideal places for it to grow. It usually takes less than two days to grow, and the more organic matter it feeds on, the faster it grows.
Unfortunately, not everyone knows the dangers that come with these mere living organisms, but the truth is, it can cause some serious health issues if it is not completely eradicated.
Recommended Reading: How To Handle Mold In Your House
Causes Of Mold Growth In The Shower
As mentioned above, the spot where you find the mold will tell you what could have caused it. Or, it will tell you which part of your shower is water-damaged.
There are two categories where mold grows in the shower. The first is on the surface, and the second is on the surrounding parts.
Under the surface category, mold can grow in three areas. It can grow on the stone itself, on the caulk, or the grout.
There are also three causes of mold damage on the surrounding parts. It may be due to leaks of supply lines, cracked tile, or vapor drive.
Washing A Shower Curtain In The Washer
Most shower curtains and liners can be machine washed to remove soap scum, buildup and mold. While washing your shower curtain in the washer is quick and easy, you still may have to do some spot scrubbing to remove all the mold.
- Remove the rings and shower curtain from the rod and fold inward into halves or quarters to keep mold spores from spreading around your home.
- Place your shower curtain or liner into the washer with a few towels to protect them from the washing cycle
- Add ½ cup of baking soda with your laundry detergent and run the washer.
- Wash shower curtains and liners on the lowest gentle setting and remove them prior to the spin cycle and allow them to drip dry.
Don’t Miss: Is It Dangerous To Clean Black Mold
How To Clean Mold On The Ceiling Above The Shower
Cleaning mold along the front surface of the ceiling can be done in a few easy steps:
Step 1: Get a mild detergent or anti-microbial mold cleaner as well as a rag. Turn on the ventilation fan.Step 2: Apply the solution very lightly to the areas you would like to clean and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Do not soak the area.Step 3: Gently dab the affected areas with the rag.
The should be enough to clean mold off the shower ceiling.
If there are still stains, the area may need to be sealed with anti-microbial paint.Using paint with an anti-microbial additive can deter mold on the shower ceiling.
How To Clean Mold From Bathroom Tiles
Scrubbing with vinegar or a borax solution is a great way to clean mold from bathroom tile. For small applications, mix 2 tablespoons borax into 2 cups warm water and funnel into a spray bottle. Spray the solution on tiles and let it sit for a few minutes. As noted earlier, you can also make a large-batch tile cleaning solution with 1 cup borax and 1 gallon of warm water. Use a mop or sponge to scrub away the mold. Whether you use vinegar or borax, there is no need to rinse the solution. However, you will want to dry the floor so the moisture doesnt encourage the mold to return.
To clean mold from bathroom tile grout, use the same borax or vinegar solution as before. Apply it directly to grout lines and let it sit. Use a toothbrush or another small bristle brush to clean mold from bathroom tile grout. For hard-to-remove stains, mix two parts baking soda with one part vinegar to form a paste. Apply it to the grout and let it sit a few minutes before scrubbing away mold. If desired, you can also use a commercial grout cleaner.
Editor’s Tip: Check your tile material before using one of these solutions. Vinegar can be damaging to some tile materials avoid if you have marble, slate, granite, or stone tiles.
Also Check: What Causes Mold On Ceiling In Bathroom