In Severe Cases Symptoms Caused By Inhaling Black Mold Can Lead To The Following Health Troubles:
- Respiratory complications
Sometimes mold invades spaces that are hard to see and reach. It spreads fast, burrowing into walls and ceilings and hiding in cupboards and under carpets. Quite often, people are exposed to black mold without even knowing it. If you or anyone in your home is experiencing any of the aforementioned symptoms without knowing why, you may be exposed to mold.
Black mold should be approached with extreme caution. Tackling black mold without proper knowledge and equipment is unsafe. The suspected contamination should always be examined and removed by professionals.
A professional black mold removal service will tackle the contamination with advanced equipment and technology. For instance, protective masks and gear should be worn at all times, to ensure maximum safety.
Mycotoxins Damage Your Health
Mycotoxins are sneaky. While mold itself cant enter your bloodstream though it can hang around and colonize in spots like your nostrils and lungs mycotoxins can get into your bloodstream and circulate throughout your body.
These opportunistic toxins can hijack your immune system, making you more vulnerable to infections. If your immune system is already compromised , mycotoxins take advantage. If youre healthy, they can make you very sick.
Studies show that mycotoxins can:
- Cause lung inflammation that can make it harder to breathe
- Worsen allergy and asthma symptoms
Unfortunately, mold toxicity is frequently misdiagnosed. Because of its wide-ranging effects, its typically mistaken for other conditions including depression, multiple sclerosis, or autoimmune conditions. Plus, because mycotoxins are opportunistic, theyre often connected with debilitating diseases such as Lyme disease, IBS and fibromyalgia.
Your Genes Can Make You More Vulnerable
Around 25% of people are genetically predisposed to get sick from mold exposure. A simple test, called the HLA-DR, can tell you if youre in that more susceptible population.
If you are, it means your immune system cant easily identify and get rid of mycotoxins. That can allow them to build up in the body, causing harm wherever they end up. On top of that, because of that genetic twist, even relatively small exposures to mycotoxins can affect you.
Can Black Mold Kill You
Black mold should be considered dangerous and even life threatening. Because mycotoxin spores are released into the air, they have the potential to cause neurological damage, pulmonary issues, and immune system compromise. Needless to say, these are all serious health concerns and each has a life threatening capacity. With a mold outbreak, some things are worth paying attention to.
- Mycotoxin spores can affect the brains neurons, and thus affect mental reactions and abilities.
- A serious mold outbreak, with a proliferation of mold spores, can suppress the immune system.
- With long-term, consistent exposure, the black species of mold does have the potential to kill.
- Pregnant women, very young children, and the elderly can all have symptoms that are adverse.
- The black species of mold isnt the toxic source its the spores that are toxic and poisonous.
Also Check: How To Mold Leather Holster
Links Between Mold Toxicity And Cancer
One of my roles as a Functional Medicine doctor is to be a health detective. When someone comes to me with a multitude of symptoms, I begin by uncovering the root cause and it is important to determine the role that toxins, including mold, play in a variety of health conditions .
While conventional medicine might not even have mold on its radar, Ive found that the indoor living and working conditions of my patients is extremely important to address. After all, most of us spend the majority of our days and nights inside.
Mold Toxicity can be challenging to diagnose and difficult to pinpoint the source, but when a person can change their living conditions and effectively detoxify, Ive seen incredible healing.
In this article, I take a deeper dive into the health effects of mold and what you can do about it. Keep reading to learn:
- What is mold toxicity
- What health problems does mold toxicity cause
- Links between mold and cancer
- Functional Medicine solutions for mold toxicity recovery
Prevent Molds From Coming Back By Doing These:
- Regularly check your home for water leaks. Perform extra inspection before and winter, storms, earthquakes, and flooding. Repair the leaks right away.
- Replace the filters and vacuum the ducts of your HVAC system to eliminate fungal spores.
- Keep your home well-ventilated by opening doors and windows to stabilize the humidity level. If this is not possible at all times, invest in a high-quality dehumidifier.
Recommended Reading: How To Mold A Leather Holster
Mold Poisoning In Dogs: 15 Symptoms To Be Aware Of
Youve probably heard about people experiencing health problems because of mold, but have you heard about how mold exposure can affect our four-legged friends? If your home, doghouse, or other places where your dog frequents, are affected by mold, then the chances of mold poisoning or mold allergies in your dog increase drastically.
We typically know when someone around us is sick, but with pets, its not always as obvious. We can tell somethings wrong with them by observing and noticing changes in their regular behavior, eating habits, and other factors.
In this article, we will describe how to quickly detect mold poisoning symptoms and how to address mold exposure in dogs.
How Can Dampness And Mold Problems Be Fixed
- Identify and eliminate the water problem. The most critical step is to identify and eliminate the source of the water that is creating a damp environment. You may need technical assistance from a plumber or contractor to determine what needs to be fixed or changed.
- Determine the extent of the problem. EPA recommends calling for professional help to clean any mold growth that covers more than 10 square feet.3 If you are unable to determine the extent of the problem, contact a professional, who can help you protect your family.
- Remove, clean or discard affected materials. To get rid of mold, wash it off materials that can be effectively cleaned, such as hard surfaces. Use detergent and warm water. Dry the surface completely. If the materials cannot be cleaned or are too damaged to reuse, discard them. Porous materials, like ceiling tiles, likely cannot be cleaned thoroughly and must be discarded.3
- Protect occupants and workers during the cleanup process. At minimum, wear an N-95 mask , disposable gloves and goggles. Workplace cleanup requires that the N-95 mask be professionally fitted.3
If water build up was caused by sewage, floods or other contaminated water, call a professional.
For more information on guidelines for safely cleaning up mold, visit the EPA’s mold clean up site.
Institute of Medicine .Damp Indoor Spaces and Health. National Academies Press. Washington, DC. 2004.
Recommended Reading: Best Way To Clean Mold Off Ceiling
Signs And Symptoms Of Black Mold Poisoning
Black mold exposure may often present with your typical allergic complaints that are listed above. However, one must be mindful that other non-allergic, mold-related illnesses exist and may present similarly to a mold allergy, but often with more seemingly unrelated symptoms.
Research has found that people who have been exposed to mixed mold, mold spores and mycotoxins have experienced neurological and behavioral symptoms. These symptoms have been corroborated by other studies like Gordon et al. and Rea et al. .
Such non-allergic symptoms to mold may include, but are not limited to:
- Cognitive impairment
Treating Black Mold Poisoning
If you suspect youre suffering from symptoms associated with black mold exposure or poisoning, there are some things you can do to improve your health.
In conclusion, the best way to avoid the negative effects of black mold poisoning is to minimize your exposure to black mold.
You can do this by preventing its growth in the first place. If its too late to prevent it and you suspect theres black mold already in your home, dont wait to book black mold removal, completed quickly and efficiently by the industry experts.
Black mold, typically green or black, in your home can be extremely hazardous to your health. Learn about black mold poisoning and start preventing black mold growth today.
Read Also: How To Clean Mold Off Plastic Cutting Board
Do You Have A Mold Problem
You can detect Large mold infestations by seeing or smelling. If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present. You do not need to know the type of mold growing in your home, and CDC does not recommend or perform routine sampling for molds. No matter what type of mold is present, you should remove it. Since the effect of mold on people can vary greatly, either because of the amount or type of mold, you cannot rely on sampling and culturing to know your health risk.
How Is Black Mold Exposure Diagnosed
If you havent been feeling well and believe youve been exposed to black mold or any other type of mold, schedule a visit with your doctor. Theyll try to determine your level of sensitivity to mold and its effects on your health.
Your doctor will first perform a physical exam. Theyll pay special attention to how your lungs sound when you breathe.
Theyll then take your medical history and perform an allergy test. This is done by scratching or pricking the skin with extracts of different types of mold. If theres swelling or a reaction to black mold, its likely you have an allergy to it.
Your doctor may also run a blood test that measures your immune systems response to certain types of mold. This is called a radioallergosorbent test.
Some things can increase your risk for a reaction to black mold.
risk factors for illness from black mold exposure
Treatment depends on your reaction and how long youve been exposed. If black mold has made you sick, see a doctor for continued care until your body heals from exposure to black mold spores.
The most common reason for a reaction to black mold is a black mold allergy.
If youre dealing with an allergy, you can take steps to limit your exposure and manage your symptoms. While theres no current cure for mold allergies, there are medications you can take to reduce your symptoms.
Talk to your doctor about taking the following medications:
Recommended Reading: How Long Does Uv Light Take To Kill Mold
Test After Test With No Answers
That was the first episode, lasting for three months starting in November of 2010. In that time she lost twenty-five pounds, was forced to abandon her practice, and withdrew from activities outside the home. Her doctor, family, and friends told her that they thought she had depression or even bipolar disorder. She resisted, even in her confused and debilitated state, and insisted on further testing, believing that something was terribly wrong.
After a series of blood tests, her general practitioner diagnosed Kimberlyn with heavy metal poisoning and recommended she undergo chelation therapy. After undergoing this treatment, she did feel better. However, within five months the illness returned.
During her second cycle of illness, Kimberlyn sought out another doctor who performed a series of tests and suggested that maybe Kimberlyn was suffering from mold illness, also known as toxic mold syndrome. This was the first time mold had been suggested as a possible cause for Kimberlyns symptoms and was unexpected due to the arid climate of Arizona. Yet after having her home tested, three different types of toxic mold were found, including Stachybotrys, also known as black mold.
Toxic Black Mold And Hormonal Imbalance
Black toxic mold damages the myelin sheath, affecting the transmission of electrical impulses and consequently delaying or obscuring the signals sent to the brain. As a result, the brain sends a message to the hormone factories that do not answer to the actual needs of the body. This condition is called hormonal imbalance.
Also Check: Remove Mildew From Boat Seats
Tips For Preventing Mold In Your Home
Mold can get into your house through doors and windows. It can enter through air-conditioning, heating, and ventilation systems. It can even hitch a ride on you, your pets, or anything you carry in from outside. Read on for tips on how to prevent mold from taking hold in your home.
- Keep the humidity level low. If you dont have an air conditioner, you can use a dehumidifier. Shop for a dehumidifier online.
Can Mold Cause Depression
This question has been the subject of numerous researches in the past decade, and most of them found a strong correlation between mold and depression.
Neurotransmitter levels are self-regulated in a healthy brain, naturally preventing a chemical imbalance that can lead to depression. But if neurotoxic compounds are introduced in the system, certain neurotransmitters will be produced excessive, and some inadequately.
Don’t Miss: How To Get Mildew Out Of Vinyl Boat Seats
A Personalized Mold Sickness Treatment
The Sponaugle Wellness Institute prides itself on the personalized treatment given to their patients. Each case is unique thats why they do not use one single treatment plan for every patient.
The Sponaugle Wellness Institute scrutinizes every case to develop the most fitting healing strategy. They fully understand how does mold sickness affects the human body and the complexities associated with black mold poisoning.Dr. Sponaugle believes that the patients state of mind is crucial for his/her complete recovery. This is why he built a world-class treatment facility that is equipped with avant-garde technology and cozy rooms near the spectacular beaches of Florida.The ambiance is remarkable homey, far from dull and cold hospitals.
How Does Black Mold Form
The main reason behind the formation of black mold is moisture, which can be caused by several things, such as, water leakage, lack of proper ventilation, flooding, irregular maintenance, humidifiers, condensation, clogged-up gutters, damp clothes, humid basements, or even water accumulation around the foundation of your house.
Recommended Reading: How To Clean Mold Off Bathroom Ceiling
Black Doesnt Mean Toxic
The color and toxicity of molds are not related, and the term Toxic Black Mold refers to a specific species which is Stachybotrys chartarum.
Through the naked eye, its impossible to determine if its Toxic Black Mold or just an ordinary mold because their morphological differences are microscopic. You will have to take a sample to a certified mold inspector. However, exposure to black mold should be assumed if the following are present:
- Musty SmellA room with black toxic mold is filled with a musty smell. If theres nothing unusual at the initial glance, they could be hiding beneath the wallpaper, tiles, or boards.
- Dark Spots and RingsDark spots or rings on your walls or ceilings are indicative of mold growth. If these are not mold yet, they mean water damage, which is a favorable breeding ground for them. These should be eradicated by a professional mold exterminator to prevent long-term effects of black mold exposure.
- Re-occurring Respiratory IrritationThe months of seasonal allergies are gone, but youre still suffering from watery eyes, stuffy nose, skin irritation, headaches, and coughs without cold.
Why Lyme Disease Is Difficult To Treat
The Sponaugle Wellness Institute, after successfully treating chronic Lyme disease patients from different parts of the world, found that Lyme disease is widely misunderstood. This is due to the fact that it mimics the symptoms of other diseases.
Signs of mold sickness are similar to those of Lyme Disease, making it difficult to come up with a precise diagnosis. The Sponaugle Wellness Institute uses the Brain Imaging database and correlation of 6,000 mold mycotoxin levels with changes seen in neurotransmitter patterns and infectious biomarkers for Lyme disease and other tick-borne infections to formulate effective treatment plans.
Furthermore, Lyme disease cannot be treated effectively if there are mold toxins in the bloodstream because these toxins suppress the immune system.
The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Are Not Safe From Lyme Disease!
Yolanda Hadid, star of how The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills and mother of three fashion models, was diagnosed with Lyme disease. She received antibiotics and did not fully recover until mold toxins were eradicated from her body.
Read Also: How To Clean Mold From Leather
How To Treat Mold Exposure In Dogs
As we mentioned before, you should not treat your dog from mold exposure on your own. It is almost impossible to differentiate between mold allergy and other types of allergies without doing allergy testing first. Your veterinarian will also run exams and take history to diagnose your dogs symptoms.
When veterinarians find the reasons for your dogs health issues, they will start treatment of mold poisoning symptoms. Depending on the type of poisoning, the treatment may vary, but generally, it involves medication and possibly a localized cure.
This treatment doesnt end at the veterinary clinic. If mold problems remain in your dogs environment, then those symptoms will likely come back. To ensure that doesnt happen, you need to locate and correct the source of moisture and perform mold remediation to make your dogs environment healthy again.
Pay particular attention to the places where your dog spends most of his time.
How To Get Rid Of Toxic Black Mold
Mold poisoning treatment will be in vain if black mold exposure continues to exist in your home. Even if you are unsure if it is toxic black mold or just another black-pigmented mold, get rid of it right away.
- Wear a respirator or a facemask and rubber gloves to prevent the inhalation of spores. Cover your arms and legs to avoid any contact.
- Determine the extent of mold growth.
- Spray vinegar or baking soda in water if the affected area is porous.
- Rinse the area using clean water.
Also Check: How To Clean Mold From Boat Seats
Prevention And Patient Resources
After major flooding or other exposure to water damage and mold, talk with your immunocompromised patients about how to protect themselves from mold:
- Mold grows where there is moisture, usually within 24-48 hours of flooding. Even if it is not visible, it is often present.
- Immunocompromised people should not enter moldy buildings or help clean up mold.
- If it is impossible for people with weakened immune systems to avoid a moldy building, they should talk with their doctor and consider wearing an N-95 respirator inside the building. Remind patients that this will still not fully protect them from becoming exposed to mold, but may reduce their risk.
For more information on mold cleanup, refer patients to the following CDC resources, or provide them with a printed copy: