Clean Up After Mold Removal
The cleanup process is just as important to prevent spores from spreading throughout your house. We recommend:
- Double bag and seal mold materials, like carpets.
- Bag and seal all rags used for mold removal and throw them away
- Immediately wash hands and skin
- Deeply wash clothes using hot water or dispose of them
How To Clean Grout In The Kitchen
Cleaning kitchen tiles are basically the same as cleaning the bathroom or shower. Use the same types of cleaners, but make sure you rinse well with warm water. You dont want to leave any residue behind that might come in contact with food.
- Step 1: Scrub off dirty grout using warm water and a stiff brush in a circular motion, and then leave it for few minutes to dry up.
- Step 2: Mix vinegar with waterWhen you have your mixture, spray it in equal parts and let it stand for a few minutes then scrub with the brush.
- Step 3: Apply baking soda and vinegarApply the baking soda paste, spray vinegar, and cover grout lines with more baking soda.
- Step 4: Add hydrogen peroxideResistant stains may need hydrogen peroxide. Apply it in the form of a paste with baking soda.
- Step 5: Rinse with clean waterRinsing helps to avoid resettling of dirt in the grout lines.
- Step 6: Steam cleaningIf there are persistent grout stains, you may need the help of various steam cleaners in the market.
- Step 7: Dry offOpen the windows or put on a fan and let the grouts dry thoroughly.
After trying all of your options for cleaning mold, if the fungus continues to come back and reinfest areas of your bathroom or kitchen, call in a professional to do the job for you.
Why Remove Mold From Grout
Molds Have existed for millions of years, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention but that fact doesn’t make mold safe to have around. A good rule of thumb is if you see or smell mold, remove it.
As a fungus, mold thrives in moist spaces and can grow both inside and outside. The experienced cleaning professionals at ServiceMaster Clean constantly see mold in bathrooms, kitchens, laundry rooms, basements and even garages so we have the tips you need to get rid of it safely and effectively.
You May Like: How To Clean Mold Off Teak Wood
What Didnt Remove Mold
When we first moved to our current house, I did a little research and experimented with a number of methods touted to remove mold from shower caulk. Im sure there are even more techniques than the ones listed below, but heres what did not work for me:
- Saturating the affected area with straight ammonia. This may be incredibly effective, but personally, I detest the smell too much to even try. And since I often use bleach when cleaning I figured it was better just to stay away from this one completely since combining bleach and ammonia produces toxic gas.
- Spraying with vinegar. This method proved completely worthless for my situation, although I believe it has some merit as a mold preventative. I do love vinegar for glass cleaning though! Take a look at this DIY cleaner I use.
- Making a baking soda paste with water. I found this only minimally effective on tough mold. Baking soda is a great natural cleaner, though, and the gentle abrasiveness was good for cleaning the tile and some mildewy spots.
- Combining baking soda and vinegar. Lets talk about this for a minute because I see this combination recommended all the time online. Baking soda and vinegar cancel each other out. This is just basic chemistry, yall. Combining baking soda and vinegar produces carbon dioxide and salty water .
Planning a home sale soon? Our online home staging consultations give home sellers positive, practical, one-on-one guidance on how to prepare for a faster, more profitable sale!
How To Whiten Grout
Even after a comprehensive clean using chemical and natural cleaning agents, its common for white grout to still appear stained, damaged and cracked particularly after the removal of black mould. While the repeated use of bleach, vinegar or baking soda should eventually yield results when it comes to whitening, once all mould has been removed, there are easy methods of getting your grout to gleam again.
In recent years, the practice of painting your grout with a special grout paint has become increasingly popular. This grout paint, or ink as it is sometimes known, is designed not only to paint over stained areas of grout, instantly improving the aesthetic of any tiled room, it also helps to prevent mould from returning thanks to anti-fungal and water-resistant properties.
Ideal for tiled floors and large tiled walls, applying grout paint is a simple process and can restore the original look of your grout in no time. Before painting, it is vital to thoroughly clean your tiles and grout, ensuring no mould or mildew remains attached. Using masking tape to prevent paint overlapping onto your tiles, apply the paint using a bush almost exactly the width of the grout line itself. If your brush is too small, youll end up creating more work for yourself, but if its too large, you run the risk of splattering paint on the tiles.
You May Like: How To Know If Your Allergic To Mold
Black Mold In Shower Health Risks
Thankfully, due to the way bathrooms and showers are constructed today, the black mold you see in your shower is less likely to be the really bad stuff the toxic black mold or deadly mold known as Stachybotrys chartarum. This is because your shower areas and surfaces dont have cellulose which is required for the really bad type of mold to grow. Tile, ceramics, and cement-fiber backer board all make Stachybotrys less likely to grow.
But, it doesnt mean the black mold you see in your shower issafe for you either!
You can request some laboratory testing for it, but it isnt really that necessary and it can be very expensive.
How Is Mildew Harmful To You
- Allergies and Asthma Breathing in too much mold can lead to allergies.
- Infections The bodys immune system is designed to fight off foreign particles, such as fungi, that enter the system.
- Skin irritation. If mold is inhaled or comes in contact with the skin, it can cause a rash or dermatitis.
- damage and cancer.
You May Like: How To Remove Mold From Car Carpet
The Tea Tree Oil Solution
Tea tree oil can be used to not only keep spiders away but also to eradicate black mold naturally. The natural fungicide doubles as cleaning product with the strength to prevent those ugly mold spores from coming back.
To use it, combine 1 teaspoon of tea tree oil to 1 cup of water and increase the quantity ratio from there. Shake it up and pour it into a spray bottle so you can maximize coverage. Once applied to the moldy area, leave it to dry for an hour, and then wipe away the oil with a microfiber cloth or dry towel. Before you start this process, be sure to to put on protective gloves even though the tea tree oil is a natural solution, it can still irritate your skin.
Limit Your Exposure To Mold
Its important to limit your exposure to mold and mold spores. Keep them out of your eyes and try not to inhale any.
- Wear a mask or an N-95 respirator to avoid inhaling mold.
- Wear gloves that extend to the middle of your forearm. If youre just using water and a mild detergent, household rubber gloves work fine.
- Wear goggles that dont have ventilation holes to avoid getting mold or spores in your eyes.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Do Crown Molding
How To Remove Black Mold Behind Shower Tiles Or Black Mold Behind Shower Wall
If you are removing tiles and discover black mold behind shower tiles, it can be extremely scary and unnerving! This is likely because you may be facing some hefty costs to replace the sheetrock, insulation, tile, and maybe even the studs behind your shower. I would definitely get a professional opinion on what is best to do if you are not expert at this type of thing! You want to fix it properly.
Thats why it is important to use a moisture meter to see if there really is water and mold building up behind shower tiler.
If you see mold, it is recommended to do a 50/50 water and bleach wash first. Spray it really well and let it completely dry.
It is best then to apply something like Kilz, an oil-based primer to prevent mold from growing there again.
Best Way To Remove Mould In Shower
While the best form of cure is prevention, there will be circumstances where showers start to show signs of mould growth. The sooner, you take action, the sooner your shower will be restored to pristine condition.
Contrary to popular opinion, bleach, although effective in treating surface mould is not the best way to treat it. The Australian Environmental Mycology Laboratory recommends that surface mould be vacuumed up with a HEPA vacuum, then to wash the area with an 80/20 solution of water and vinegar. White vinegar treatment is known to be the most effective means of removing mould. If there are particularly stubborn stains the same laboratory recommends using bicarbonate soda to remove them.
You May Like: How To Get The Smell Of Mold Out Of Carpet
How To Get Rid Of Black Mold In Shower Tiles With Vinegar And Baking Soda
If pure vinegar doesnt get rid of your mold in the bathroom, you can add baking soda to clean your tub. Baking soda, also called bicarbonate of soda, reacts with the vinegar and produces an energetic cleaning action.
Cleaning mold with vinegar and baking soda is ideal for all types of surfaces in the bathroom, kitchen, basement, and on your deck outside. Even if you dont have a mold problem, vinegar and baking soda are an ideal cleaning solution.
- 1 cup of water
Fill the spray bottle with vinegar. Combine the water and baking soda into a thick paste, and paint it on all moldy spots. Spray the paste with vinegar and scrub until the mold is gone.
Is Bathroom Mold Harmful
While not all mold is harmful, some types can release spores that cause respiratory problems, trigger allergies, and irritate your skin. If you have a mold problem in your bathroom, its important to take care of it right away to prevent these health risks. If you see small patches of mold, you can usually handle the problem yourself with some elbow grease and the right cleaning supplies. For larger mold problems, its best to call in a professional.
Also Check: How To Clean Mold Off Natural Stone Shower
How Do You Keep Bathroom Tiles Mold Free
To keep bathroom tiles mold-free, youll need to take some preventative measures.
Here are a few things you can do:
- Keep the bathroom clean: Wipe down the shower, tub, toilet, sink, and tile regularly with soap and water. Use a mildew-resistant cleaner on the tile and grout.
- Fix leaks: A leaky shower, toilet, or sink can create the perfect conditions for mold to grow. Fix any leaks as soon as possible.
- Increase ventilation: Poor ventilation can contribute to mold growth. Keep the bathroom well-ventilated by opening a window or running the exhaust fan during and after showers.
- Use mold-resistant products: When remodeling or building a new bathroom, choose mold-resistant materials. These include mold-resistant drywall, tile, grout, paint, and caulking.
- Clean up spills immediately: If you spill something on the floor, wipe it up right away.
- Dry wet areas: After showering, bathing, or washing the floors, make sure to dry wet areas thoroughly. Use a towel or mop to remove any water thats pooled on the floor.
- Keep humidity in check: Use a dehumidifier to keep the bathroom air dry. Aim for a relative humidity of 30-50%.
By following these tips, you can keep your bathroom mold-free and looking its best.
How To Prevent Moldy Shower Caulk
Moisture reduction and control are the keys to preventing mold from growing on surfaces in the home. In very humid climates, proper ventilation and the use of air conditioning and de-humidifiers in the home will lower the humidity level to the preferred range of 30-50 percent relative humidity. In arid climates, outdoor air can be utilized to reduce the humidity level in the home. After every use of the shower, follow these recommendations to reduce the recurrence of mold.
Vented bathroom fan Building codes have been updated to require one vented fan in every bathroom. Older homes are exempted from this requirement until the bathroom is remodeled. If there is a fan present, ensure that the exhaust pipe is vented to the outside of the home and not just into the attic area. Run the fan for one full hour after using the shower.
Remove wet towels Instead of hanging towels on the racks in the same room, consider hanging the towels outside to dry or run them through the dryer. When mold is an issue, wet towels are one of the main sources of moisture and must be removed to lower the relative humidity level in the room.
Dry the shower stall Water will cling to the shower tile and caulking during and after a shower. Use a towel to dry the shower walls and then remove the towel from the room.
You May Like: How To Clean Mold Off Wood
Baking Soda Plus Hydrogen Peroxide
Apply a thick baking soda paste to the area affected by mold. Spray or carefully pour hydrogen peroxide over the baking soda paste so it begins to fizz, which will help loosen the mold further. Scrub the fizzing paste using a stiff bristle brush, then rinse the paste and mold away with water. Repeat as needed.
Tip: If there’s mold on the caulk that seals around your tub, faucet, sink or toilet, the safest thing to do is remove the caulking. Sterilize the area with bleach or distilled white vinegar and dry it thoroughly before replacing the caulk. Opt for a mildew-resistant caulk to inhibit the growth of future mold. Some mold problems can’t be tackled with home remedies or commercial cleaners found at your local store. If you’re facing stubborn grout mold or too much mold to handle alone, call the pros at ServiceMaster Clean for complete black mold removal from any area.
Install A Humidity Meter
Another idea is to install a humidity meter in your bathroom to monitor the humidity levels. This way, you will know how high the humidity is and whether you need to take further steps to reduce it. Aim to keep it as far below 60% as you can.
You can pick up an inexpensive humidity meter from your local hardware store.
Also Check: How Much Does It Cost To Have Mold Removed
Safety Precautions For Removing Mold From Bathroom Walls
Mold contains harmful toxins. For maximum health and safety, we recommend:
- Wearing old clothes you can throw away or deeply wash afterward
- Wearing an N-95 respirator, as well as gloves and eye goggles
- Wrap and tape moldy carpeting in plastic, then double bag it before throwing it away
- Use an old fan as a ventilator while youâre working. You will need to throw this fan out once youâre done to avoid circulating mold spores
- Moisten the mold with a sprayer before removing, as this helps control airborne spores
- Switch off HVAC systems and furnaces, and be sure to cover their ducts before mold removal
Getting Rid Of Mold Naturally: 5 Non
Black mold may be growing in your home and you dont even know it. Thats because mold loves dark, warm, humid places that are often out of sight. Once it begins to spread, getting rid of black mold can be challenging.
When the conditions are right, mold can grow quickly sometimes within 24-48 hours. Leaving mold untreated can lead to worsening respiratory illnesses as well as aggravating asthma and allergies. Molds ability to grow quickly and its negative effect on your familys health is why you should keep an eye out and stop mold before it spreads.
Your basement, kitchen, and bathroom are at the greatest risk for mold and bacteria growth because they are typically areas with moisture. The best way to prevent mold is by cleaning regularly and minimizing moisture. Squeegeeing shower doors after use, repairing leaks, and keeping tile grout clean are effective methods for keeping mold at bay. But even if youre frequently cleaning and disinfecting, mold can sneak in and make itself at home.
Recommended Reading: How Do I Get Rid Of Mold In My Bathroom
What Are The Steps For Removing Mold From Shower Curtains
The method you use to clean your shower curtains may vary slightly depending on the cleaner you choose, but theyre all extremely similar. Typically it involves scrubbing down the curtain, then letting it set for a bit so the cleaning agent has time to kill the mold and lift the spores away. In most cases, you should do this on both sides of the shower curtain before rinsing and drying it.
Use this handy step-by-step guide with any of the above cleaners to rid your shower curtains of pesky mold. First, gather your tools:
- Cleaner of choice
- Spray bottle, bucket or bowl
- Stirring utensil
- Scrubbing brush or other textured cleaning tool
- Rubber gloves
Once youve assembled your materials, find a flat, waterproof area to clean your curtain on. If possible, take the curtain outside or into a well-ventilated space. If you have nowhere else to go, spread the curtain out as best as you can in the tub. Prep the bathroom or other area by opening any windows and exterior doors. Interior doors should stay closed and sealed off if possible, even if this just means stuffing an old towel in the gap between the door and floor. If you have a box or standing fan, turn it on high facing outside in an open window or door to get the air circulating. Now youre ready to start cleaning:
Read Also: Cleaning Mold Off Leather Jackets