Tell Me The Truth: Is It Bad For My Health To Have Mold In My Home
So, no mold is really good or pleasant to have aroundbut, it may not be as dangerous as you think to have it in your home. Theres not enough scientific proof that mold is toxic for the average person, and you may not even know its in your house, says Dr. Parikh.
Theres no reason at all to live in constant fear of mold if you’re an average healthy adult, Dr. Parikh says.
The most common types of fungus that will cause these allergy or asthma attacks or respiratory infections if the immune system has a severe enough reaction are Aspergillus, Alternaria, Penicillium, and Cladosporium, says Dr. Parikh. When people refer to black mold as especially dangerous, its actually a misnomer, because all of the above molds are blackish or dark in color, and one isnt necessarily worse to have in your home than another.
Its possible to develop a mold allergy over time from frequent exposure to mold in your home, Dr. Parikh says, especially if youre predisposed to environmental allergies. In the case of immune-compromised people , the body can develop an infection if the mold enters the lungs or bloodstream.
So its important to pay attention to whats potentially growing in your home, and monitor any symptoms, but theres no reason at all to live in constant fear of mold, Dr. Parikh says.
Mold Detox Probiotics & Candida Overgrowth
Sometimes mold toxicity can impair the good bacteria in the gut and create imbalances. As a result, you may be more susceptible to candida overgrowth and yeast infections.
If thats the case, you can continue with the mold detox protocol with the following changes:
- Mycozil: 3 capsules twice a day before your meals for six weeks. Mycozil is a blend of wildcrafted and organic antifungal herbs known for their ability to kill candida yeast, natural systemic enzymes that break down candida cell wall, and soil-based probiotics to help balance the candida yeast imbalance in the gut.
- Floratrex: Take 2 capsules daily, 20 minutes before your first meal, for six weeks. Floratrex is a professional strength complex of 75 billion CFUs 25-Strain Probiotic & Prebiotics, designed to promote healthy bacteria in the gut. Prebiotics serve as a food source for probiotics that supports the good bacteria growth in your gut. Taking prebiotics together with probiotics is a common best practice that according to research, can enhance the effectiveness of the probiotic supplements.
- Candida diet: switch to the candida diet, or limit the carbs in your mold detox diet. Intermittent fasting may help to augment the results.
For the complete candida-yeast protocol: candida cleanse.
Detox Supplements & Research
- CytoDetox: This specialty detox product can help eliminate mold toxin buildup within the body.
- Use high-quality probiotics.
- Take supplements that increase glutathione within the body. GCEL is a wonderful supplement in this category to try. N-acetyl cysteine is also an excellent choice, as it has been shown to replenish intracellular glutathione14. Among its many benefits, glutathione is known to decrease oxidative stress15, and help overcome autoimmune diseases. Research has found that low levels of glutathione can be an underlying cause of oxidative stress16
- Binders: Most toxins are processed by the kidney or liver. Fat soluble toxins are processed by the liver, and are put into the bile complex. The bile complex is then emptied into the small intestine. Adding binders can bind aflatoxins and mycotoxins to aid in successful toxin elimination17. Activated carbon has also been shown effective at removing BPA and common pesticides from the body18.
- Using natural treatments such as antioxidants, antifungals, clay, and chlorella have also been proven effective in removing mold and mycotoxins19.
- Since mold can aggravate autoimmune conditions, it is even more important for those with one of these conditions to be vigilant removing mold and mycotoxin exposure. Follow these 7 keys to any autoimmune diet protocol.
Also Check: How Much Does Professional Mold Removal Cost
I Found Mold Growing In My Home How Do I Test The Mold
If you can see or smell mold, a health risk may be present. You do not need to know the type of mold growing in your home, and CDC does not recommend or perform routine sampling for molds. No matter what type of mold is present, you should remove it. Since the effect of mold on people can vary greatly, either because of the amount or type of mold, you cannot rely on sampling and culturing to know your health risk.
Mold Detox Pathways By Mycotoxin
Another way to aid your recovery from mold exposure is to support your bodys detoxification systems. In July of 2020, Dr. Neil Nathan published two tables of information on the Detoxification of Mycotoxins. Different than the table of binders, these tables cover the various ways our body gets rid of certain mycotoxins.
The first table covers detoxification by pathway, listing the key detox pathway for common mycotoxins, as well as foods and supplements that can help support and up-regulate that pathway.
The second table covers detoxification by organ system for common mycotoxins, and provides a list of options for supplemental support.
To hear more from Dr. Nathan, check out his recent interview with Dave Asprey on Bulletproof radio: Episode 733 The Common Mold: Your Guide to Toxicity, Symptoms, & Treatments.
Read Also: How To Get Mold Out Of Ductwork
How To Remove Mold
If you need further help we recommend the mold removal services of Green Home Solutions.
Toxic Mold Is The Only Cause Of Illness
This might seem confusing at first, but a major misconception about mold illness is that its only caused by toxic mold. Youre probably thinkingWell, why is it called mold illness? Am I right? Let me explain.
First, its important to understand that the fuzzy green, white, or black mold you see on food or growing in the attic usually doesnt make you sick. Mold is a type of fungus that may or may not produce toxic chemicals called mycotoxins. Mycotoxins can be found on mold as well as on mold spores and are harmful to humans. If youre exposed to mycotoxins through skin contact, inhalation, or ingestion, you might experience short-term symptoms or long-term illness.
Next, what is often diagnosed as mold illness or mycotoxicosis may be more accurately diagnosed as biotoxin illness or Chronic Inflammatory Response Syndrome . Dr. Ritchie Shoemaker, a physician and clinical researcher who was the first to uncover the connection between a specific group of symptoms and certain toxins called biotoxins, defined CIRS in the late 1990s.
CIRS is a multi-system, multi-symptom condition often caused by exposure to a dangerous mix of biotoxins, including but not limited to mycotoxins. Mold is often solely blamed because of its visible presence in water damaged buildings. This has led to the general label mold illness or mycotoxicosis, which is just one subcategory of biotoxin illness/CIRS.
Read Also: Can Black Mold Be Removed From Wood
Prepare Your Workplace Outside
Before starting anything, you must set up your place outside your home. Your garage or yard will be fine. Since you will be handling chemicals, it would be best if you were somewhere with great ventilation.
Even if you use vinegar, the scent can be strong enough to stay inside the house for several hours. Make sure that you get everything you need and organize them so you wont come back to the house every now and then.
Help Your Body Get Rid Of Mycotoxins
Note: you have to get rid of mold in your environment before you can hope to successfully detox from mycotoxins. If you dont, youll just keep accumulating new mycotoxins as you get rid of old ones. You may stall mold poisoning, but you wont start to get rid of it especially considering that it takes 35 days for your kidneys and bladder to flush out the more stubborn mycotoxins.
Once youve gotten rid of the source of mold, its time to get your body back into fighting shape. Mycotoxins mostly target your mitochondria, which explains why mold poisoning affects brain and heart function more than anything else .
To recover from mold toxicity, you want to boost your mitochondria as much as possible, while also clearing out lingering mycotoxins. These mold recovery therapies will help:
Mold exposure can be incredibly frustrating. It can make you feel like you have no control over your environment, your health, your weight, your emotions your life in general. If youre dealing with mold, dont despair. These tools can help you get rid of mold and mycotoxins and return to your healthy, high-performing self.
Read Also: Can You Test For Mold Yourself
Detoxify To Remove Mold Toxins
Mold doctors can help you detoxify by using a combination of binders to help remove toxins from your body. Some of the common binders used to help remove mold are:
- Activated Charcoal Activated charcoal must be carefully administered because it will bind to everything, including toxins, vitamins, minerals, and other medications. If activated charcoal is used, your integrative physician will need to carefully monitor your nutrition, and supplementation may be required. Because of the mechanisms of activated charcoal, it is best used for an acute situation.
- Bentonite Clay Bentonite clay comes from volcano ash and has been used around the world for many years to help detoxify the body. Bentonite clay absorbs heavy metals, toxins, and other harmful materials. It also provides the body with a variety of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, iron, calcium, and sodium. Bentonite clay provides the body with some antibacterial and antiviral properties.
- Chlorella Chlorella is an alga that does a great job of detoxifying the body. Chlorella binds to toxins and heavy metals in the digestive tract and helps transport it out of the body. Unlike other types of binders , chlorella does not remove minerals and nutrients from the body. In fact, chlorella can help boost immunity naturally. Because there is no risk of nutritional deficiencies with long term use, it is a popular binder used by integrative practitioners.
A Qualified Environmental Lab Took Samples Of The Mold In My Home And Gave Me The Results Can Cdc Interpret These Results
Standards for judging what is an acceptable, tolerable or normal quantity of mold have not been established. Sampling for mold can be expensive, and standards for judging what is and what is not an acceptable quantity of mold have not been set. The best practice is to remove the mold and work to prevent future growth. If you do decide to pay for environmental sampling for molds, before the work starts, you should ask the consultants who will do the work to establish criteria for interpreting the test results. They should tell you in advance what they will do or what recommendations they will make based on the sampling results. The results of samples taken in your unique situation cannot be interpreted without physical inspection of the contaminated area or without considering the buildings characteristics and the factors that led to the present condition.
Recommended Reading: How To Help Mold Allergies
How To Remove Mold From Your Body
The key to eliminating mold from your body is to simply move your whole body each day. You might have read or heard the phrase, Never skip leg day!, which is usually tacked on exercise memes that mock an anonymous bodybuilder whose legs are not as developed as his upper body. While strength-training and muscle-building does improve the immune system, the goal here is not to avoid being disproportionate. By working your entire body, you drain and activate the lymphatic system and supply the blood and tissues with more oxygen needed for eradicating the organs of biotoxins.
The second most important key to eliminating mold from your body is to move your whole body to the point of sweating. Sweat is the bodys natural way to not only cool the body down, but also eliminate waste and cleanse itself. Sweating draws mycotoxins and other biotoxins out of the body through the skin. You may notice that mold-induced acne or rashes will clear up within a week or two of whole-body exercises. Hair loss may slow down or stop completely, as well, on account of the sweat clearing out the pores and follicles of the scalp. In addition, the chronic dry skin, chapped lips, and cracked heels that so often are caused by mold or yeast will clear up and finally heal thanks to sweats cleansing effect on the bodys ability to produce its own oily moisturizer .
Eating Or Drinking Mold Is The Main Cause Of Illness
Have you ever taken a big bite of bread only to look down and see a little green spot of mold staring back at you? It will turn almost anyones stomach. And the impending thought of food poisoning can cause serious anxiety.
The truth isif youve accidentally ingested some mold, youll probably be just fine. If you have a mold allergy, you might experience the symptoms discussed above, but any nausea or vomiting will likely be a result of the fact that youre totally grossed out by what youve eaten.
So, how does mold most often make its way into the body and cause illness? While ingestion and skin contact are possible routes, the potential for serious health problems is caused by inhalation of airborne mold spores. When spores are inhaled through the nose or mouth and enter the sinuses, lungs, brain, and bloodstream, theyre quite difficult for the body to eliminate. The spores attach themselves to mucous and begin to colonize. Many people are initially unaware that theyve been exposed to mold and its subsequent inflammagens but begin to see a decline in their health over time.
Recommended Reading: What Do You Use To Get Rid Of Black Mold
What You Need To Do:
Clean up: You should also clean any surfaces that may have mold on them
Air conditions: If you suspect your home has been exposed to molds then it is imperative for the air in the house be changed ASAP! Try to keep windows closed and use a household fan or open doors/windows when outside air is not too hot or cold
How To Remove Mold From Rubber: 3 Best Cleaning Solutions
Mold is a type of fungus that will grow on any surface, including rubber. If you want to learn how to remove mold from rubber, keep reading to know more! Just remember to work outside your home, wear some safety gear, and rinse the rubber after being soaked in the solution.
We dont pay attention to it much, but we use rubber in our daily activities. We use it for kitchenware, bath necessities, and other home products! Even though rubber is water-resistant, mold can still grow on it if not treated early on.
This situation can be a headache. Fortunately, this article will help you get rid of mold from rubber and give you some tips on which solution you should use.
Read Also: How To Remove Black Mold From Bathtub
How To Detox Your Body From The Mold
Actually, your body can handle occasional mold exposure itself initially. But if the condition goes worse and you can notice any of the symptoms above, your respiratory and immune systems are at risk and you have to detox the mold from your body as soon as possible.
Dont panic. Treating mold-related issues are not complicated. There are numerous ways which can detox your body from mold exposure quickly, safely, and even naturally.
Following are some great remedies:
The Impact Of Mold: 5 Steps To Regaining Health
The impact of mold on health is far reaching, and the occurrence of mold might be higher than you might think. Symptoms of mold exposure go beyond an allergic response and can include a vast range from achy joints to dysregulated hormones, cognitive issues or sapping fatigue.
To complicate matters, you could be exposed to it, and simply not know. Mold could be hidden behind walls or be disguised as a fine powder instead of the striking black spots you might expect.
Curious if mold is playing a role in your mysterious symptoms? Have a hunch you need to address it to achieve optimal wellness but overwhelmed with where to start? Here are 5 steps worth investigating if youre concerned about how a moldy environment might be affecting your health and wellbeing.
Recommended Reading: How To Use Bleach To Clean Mold