Black Mold In The Toilet
With a couple of different types of black mold, some varieties will only exist on porous surfaces. Hence, you wont see them on the smooth surfaces of porcelain toilets.
Applying bleach will temporarily remove black mold from your toilet. You will discover that it will resurface after some time. The reason is that the spores reproducing this mold genus floats in the air and can replicate effortlessly in a damp, dark, closed toilet system.
You can easily spot black mold inside and under a toilet tank. Black discoloration shows the likeliness that black mold is growing in your toilet tank.
How To Keep Your Toilet Tank Clear Of Mold
Every once in a while, you will have to repeat this cleaning process. However, you can avoid intensive cleaning by flushing the toilet every so often to reintroduce new water into the tank.
You can also purchase products that sit inside your toilet tank that help introduce a small number of chemicals consistently to keep the water clear.
How Do You Prevent Mold From Growing In The Toilet
- If you have a bathroom window, open it during showering.
- Make sure that you are using your exhaust fans when you take a shower or bath and leaving them on for at least 30 minutes after you finish.
- If your bathroom is prone to higher humidity, grab one of these recommended bathroom dehumidifiers and use it during and for an hour after you shower or take a bath.
- Never leave waste sitting in the toilet. I know a lot of people like to follow the if its yellow let it mellow motto but when it comes to mold you always want to flush.
- Clean your toilet bowl once or twice weekly using a scrub brush and the EC3 Mold Solution Concentrate or Vinegar.
- Add 1 cup of vinegar to the toilet tank a few times a week to help prevent the mold.
- For toilets that are not used often, be sure to flush them every other day.
- Fix any bathroom leaks immediately.
In this post I refer to EC3 products. They are one of the only two mold and mycotoxin removal products that I personally use and recommend. Please read my article outlining what makes EC3 superiorwhen it comes to killing mold and mycotoxins. It has been independently lab tested and proven to be 99% effective when used properly. I encourage you to purchase EC3 products directly through Micro Balance. If you prefer to shop on Amazon, Micro Balance has a presence there as well.
Read Also: How To Detect Airborne Mold
Dont Want To Use Chemicals Heres How To Get Rid Of Black Mold In Your Bathroom Naturally
If synthetic chemicals arent an option for your family or pets, you can use effective natural methods to get rid of bathroom mold. Hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, and baking soda are three nontoxic products that can remove mold in shower areas effectively. Hydrogen peroxide is naturally antifungal and antibacterial, which makes it perfect for treating mold. Baking soda also kills mold and absorbs moisture that facilitates mold growth.
Mix one part hydrogen peroxide and another part water into a water bottle and spray the solution onto the mold. Or, mix one tablespoon of baking soda into a spray bottle of water. Spray either of these solutions and let it sit for a few minutes, then gently scrub away the stain and rinse it with water. To prevent future mold growth, spray the area with undiluted vinegar and let it air dry. Vinegar is a powerful natural acid that can kill over 80% of mold spores.
Note: Although vinegar, peroxide, and baking soda are effective at mold removal and prevention separately, dont mix them all together because this creates a bubbly mess thats potentially toxic.
How To Prevent Mold Growth In The Toilet
For peace of mind over mold in your toilet, preventing the spores from spreading is the ideal thing you should do. The following tips will help you prevent mold growth in your toilet.
- If your toilet has a window, always open it for ventilation or leave your exhaust fans to refresh the air after using the toilet.
- Always flush and avoid leaving waste sitting in your toilet.
- Do a thorough toilet cleaning at least once a week.
- Add vinegar to your toilet tank two to three times a week.
- Infrequently used toilets should be flushed at least every other day.
Don’t Miss: How Do You Identify Black Mold
Clorox Toiletwand Disposable Toilet Cleaning System
The Clorox cleaning system comprises of a toilet wand, a storage caddy and original disposable refills plus 10 Rainforest rush scented refills that kill 99.9% of bacteria and viruses in your bowl.
The hexagon shaped sponge heads clean in hard-to-reach places under the bowl rim and drain for a deeper and faster clean to remove rust, calcium and lime stains.
It is an all-in-one bathroom household cleaner. No need for scrubbing brushes and other cleaning items.
S For Cleaning Dirt And Grime Under Rims
Below you can find a simple list of cleaners that will work for different stains and dirt
- The vinegar and baking soda treatment for lime scale or hard water mineral deposits. The cleaning properties of Coke make it a very effective solvent.
- Getting rid of mold and mildew can easily be sanitized, disinfected, and cleaned with bleach and automatic chlorinated liquids.
- Borax/ borax paste, vinegar, vinegar, citric acid, hydrogen peroxide, and lemons can all kill bacteria.
Combining several methods of locating the black ring under the rim is a good approach as it tackles all the possible causes.
Disinfect and Scrub
Clean under the toilet bowl rim by first disinfecting it with bleach or vinegar, then spraying it with a cleaner around the top, followed by scrubbing with a toilet brush.
Also Check: Can You Get Sick From Black Mold In Your House
Pour Vinegar With A Spray Bottle
Your toilet tank contains many plastic elements, metal, and rubber items. To avoid damaging them, pour distilled vinegar inside the toilet tank .
Remember to target mold stains, especially in the corners of the plastic tank. Some people use bleach for cleaning, but we believe vinegar is the best natural solution.
Where Does The Toilet Mold Form
Toilet mold represents the build-up of minerals, fungi, and grime on the porcelain surface of your bowl, but mold spores can occur in other places as well. Youll often see it in the shower, kitchen sink, caulk, and many other places.
The problem with mold is that it gradually deteriorates the performance of the toilet while ruining that wonderful white color of your toilet. Besides that, black mold can form almost everywhere:
Recommended Reading: How To Know If Your Basement Has Mold
Cleaning Mold From The Toilet Tank
Since the water in a toilet tank can serve as an emergencydrinking water supply, I am very careful with what I use to clean a toilettank.
Avoid using bleach in the tank as it is corrosive to someparts. If the problem persists, use a brush to scrub at the black mold when thewater is down after flushing. Repeat until it is clean.
How To Get Rid Of The Black Stains Under My Toilet Rim
Getting rid of the black mold under your toilet rim shouldnt be hard. As it turns out, mold and algae are easy to kill using traditional toilet cleaners and even some makeshift cleaning solutions.
All you have to do is pay attention when cleaning the toilet and focus on cleaning under the toilet rim.
You May Like: What Causes Mold On Ac Vents
Why Is Mold Growing In The Toilet Bowl Only
- Organic surfaces such as the tanks walls andhard water deposits help supply mold with a nutrient source.
- What you put in the toilet can increase thelikelihood of mold growth. The PH of urine and body chemicals found in yourpoop can all effect whether or not a toilet bowl grows mold. In fact, there isa really interesting diabetes and mold connection. Mold LOVES sugar. It is oneof its preferred foods. When a person has diabetes that is uncontrolled or notadequately controlled, the body reacts to its decreased ability to processglucose by essentially dumping it via urine and sweat. That glucose-richfluid serves as food for mold spores inside the toilet bowl.
- You could have black mold in the water supplyfrom the pipes or tank. If this is the case the mold will re-establish itselfevery time you flush the toilet. Rust on the pipes can also cause condensationwhich leads to black mold.
- There could be cracks in the ceramic of yourtoilet. These cracks give black mold a place to stick, grow and flourish.
Symptoms Of Clogged Jets
When the rim jets on your toilet get clogged, usually with mineral deposits such as lime and calcium scale, you may notice that the toilet does not flush completely, or that it takes an unusually long time for the water in the tank to empty down into the bowl. Or, you may notice that the normal diagonal flow of water from the jets has become vertical.
And with calcium deposits clogging the jets and slowing the water flow, bacteria are more likely to form inside the hollow rim of your toilet. Thanks to the constant flow of water, a toilet is not the dirtiest part of your home , but any time a toilet stops flushing efficiently, the chances of bacteria growth are increased. And a toilet that gets used rarely is more likely to find its jets clogged with bacterial growth.
Recommended Reading: How Fast Can Mold Kill You
Get Rid Of Mineral Deposits
With the toilet clean, you can now focus on removing any calcification or mineral deposits under the toilet rim. The technique will vary depending on the deposits type. However, in most cases, they are hard water deposits.
You can remove these using vinegar.
- Add a cup of vinegar into a spray bottle and spray it onto the toilet rim. Keep spraying until it is fully saturated.
- Let it sit for around five minutes.
- Sprinkle a half cup of baking soda onto vinegar and let it fizz until it stops
- Flush the toilet and use a brush to scrub away
- Flush again twice to get rid of all the residue
Cleaning under the toilet rim with vinegar is a great way to get rid of hard water deposits. However, it shouldnt be a substitute for bleach or a dedicated toilet cleaner since vinegar isnt as good a disinfectant as these can be.
How To Get Rid Of Black Mold In The Toilet
The steps to getting rid of black mold from your toilet are pretty straight forward. Put on your gloves and mask and lets dive in
First Part: Cleaning the toilet bowl
- Flush the toilet and get rid of any excess water.
- Get your scrubber and your spray bottle of vinegar. Spray the vinegar inside the bowl and let it sit for a minute
- Scrub the black ring until it comes off.
- Repeat steps 2 and 3 a few times to get rid of the ring of black mold, and any other spots of mold.
- Flush the toilet a few times to get rid of any of the cleaner or vinegar you are using.
Second Part: Cleaning the toilet tank
- Pour a cup of bleach into the tank and let it sit for a 20 to 30 minutes. The ratio of bleach to water will depend on the size of your tank. Check the bleach for instructions. I usually go with a cup for every gallon.
- Next, give the tank a scrub . Be mindful of not bumping the parts inside of the tank. You dont want to bump the float or anything like that
- Flush the toilet a few times to get rid of everything.
- Clean up and dispose of the gloves and any brushes you have used as they could have mold spores on them. Its just best to get rid of everything.
- Shower. Look I could say just wash up, but when you are dealing with mold, its best for you to scrub down and feel like you are squeaky clean again.
How to stop mold from growing on your toilet tank
Also Check: Can You Remove Mold With Bleach
Cleaning Mold In The Toilet Bowl Tank Rim Seat And Lid
The appearance of mold in the toilet is a common occurrence, even when you dont have serious issues with water damage or moisture build up in other areas of your home. Because of the constant presence of water in the bowl and toilet tank, mold can easily take hold and start to spread. If youve ever opened the lid and seen a black ring around the edge of the water level, thats mold in the toilet. Because mold can spread easily, its important to thoroughly clean the toilet immediately, taking the safety precautions listed below to prevent risks to your health caused by mold spores.
What Causes A Black Ring In The Toilet Bowl And Under The Rim
I have Kohler Elliston Toilet and facing the same issue a year back. You can believe it or not hard water minerals arent the only culprits behind the black ring in the toiletalso, the molds.
These toilet rings are not just bad for health. All these sediments create an unhealthy environment and a rotten odor. So, I use a natural odor eliminator for the toilet.
You May Like: What To Do About Black Mold
Is Black Mold In Your Toilet Tank Dangerous
Mold comes in a variety of colors, but black mold seems to be the one that strikes fear in the heart of people who find it in their homes.
The truth is, mold is all around us even in the air we breathe.
And while you certainly dont want mold growing in your toilet tank , black mold has never been proven to be more dangerous than any other type of mold .
Mold of any color can cause certain health issues in some people, including headaches, itchy eyes, dizziness, fatigue, and nausea .
Infants, children, the elderly, and those with underlying health conditions are most likely to suffer health issues from mold exposure.
However, many people have no negative effects.
Finding black mold in your toilet tank isnt necessarily a reason to panic, but it does need to be removed.
Recommended Reading: Mold In My Ac Vents
Why Is Mold Growing Under The Rim Of My Toilet
You open the lid on your toilet bowl only to discover a black ring of mold. You ask why is there mold growing under the rim of my toilet? Where did it come from and just how safe is it to use the toilet? Besides just being an ugly sight, mold in the toilet bowl could be a health hazard.
Water Mold Fire Restoration, 800-905-0277, wants you understand that, believe it or not, mold growing under the rim of a toilet is a common household problem, even for the tidiest of individuals. And you dont have to have a water damage in your home for this to occur. Thats because there is always water in your toilet bowl and it is easy for mold to develop. Also the toilet lid is usually closed keeping the bowl in the dark.
Mold likes water, dark spaces, and organic materials. You and your family provide the organic material, if you know what we mean. An interesting aside if you or a member of your family has diabetes.
A diabetics body has a problem processing glucose. Thus their urine will contain more sugar that a completely healthy person, even if their diabetes is under control. Glucose enriched fluid is an excellent food for mold inside a toilet.
In addition, toilets that are not used regularly, or flushed as often as others in your home, are more likely to develop a mold problem. Even if they are not used every day, you should flush them upon occasion.
What Makes Mold Dangerous?
Removing Toilet Mold
Preventing Mold Around Your Toilet Rim
Professional Help Is Available
You May Like: What Happens If I Find Mold In My Apartment
Clean And Disinfect The Cistern
Toilet cisterns are often neglected. Most people will clean the outside and ignore the inside completely.
As a result, dust, mineral deposits, mold, and algae take root, making the place disgusting. Lift the lid on your cistern, and you will be surprised how dirty it looks.
You can remedy this by using a quick clean and rinse. Since it is not in direct contact with the toilet bowl, you can use plain soap to clean. I still go for the toilet cleaning detergent, to be sure.
- Put on some protective gloves.
- If there are any visible solids or large residue, pick them up and remove them from the cistern.
- Get a new toilet washing brush or brush on a handle
- Add some liquid soap or the toilet cleaning solution into the cistern
- Use the brush to scrub around and get rid of as much of the dirt as possible
- Use your hand again to remove big chunks of dirt knocked loose when scrubbing. These could block the flushing mechanism
- Flush the toilet to empty the cistern and allow in a fresh batch of water
- Flush again to rinse it
To maintain cleanliness, throw in some toilet cleaning tablets. These sit in the cistern and slowly dissolve into the water creating a disinfecting solution that keeps the cistern and the toilet clean for longer.